- I've only had one refund request, so I know the book is a quality product, and the claims I make on my website are grounded in reality.
- Using Clickbank makes it easy for people to buy and download the book, and the 3 bonus items, and they feel safe about the transaction. I also used Clickbank to refund the one unsatisfied customer, and their money was back in their account in a few minutes. Safe and secure!
- It's still early days, and there is a lot of optimization of my website, and my Adwords campaign to be done, so there is plenty of room for improvement and hopefully, sales that make a profit.
- Now that I have one book published using this system, I'm on top of the learning curve, and I could quickly create another, similar product.
- I own the copyright, so I am free to publish the book using other methods.
- The obvious one, of course, is that using Adwords can be expensive, if you haven't quite got your niche market information correct. There is no doubt it's the quickest way to get to the first page of Google, but beware the cost.
- Because Google is constantly looking for ways to improve the experience for their users, you are at their mercy in terms of trying to optimize your information. Just when you think it's right, something changes.
What does all of this have to do with being published on Smashwords?
I'm trying out the other options i.e. self-publishing using various platforms. Smashwords was recommended to me as the easiest to get up and going, and it really was very simple. Once you have our book formatted to their guidelines, it's on their website within half an hour, and on Barnes & Noble catalogues as part of the Smashwords Premium series. And the best part was that it didn't cost me anything upfront. Smashwords take a small commission on each sale, leaving the bulk of the sale price for the author - me!
Payment comes via PayPal, so they haven't reinvented the wheel - just used the reliable systems already available.
Smashwords also allow a reader to sample part of the book, so you know what you are buying. Here is the link if you would like to check it out: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/karenpayne